Monday, September 19, 2011
To wear this season's bold lips you need to start with smooth lips.
Tips for smooth lips:
1. Stay hydrated! As the weather turns colder and we crank up the heat, the air gets dryer. Drink plenty of water. Try to limit caffeine and alcohol or for every caffeinated or alcoholic beverage you consume, drink a glass of water.
2. Do not lick or bite lips.
3. Moisturize lips with lip balm. My favorite lip balms are from EOS and nivea.
4. Try an overnight lip treatment. Mix together a small amount of honey and olive oil. Smooth onto lips and leave overnight.
5. Exfoliate your lips occasionally by gently rubbing them with a soft bristle toothbrush or wash cloth. Or try a homemade lip scrub!
Sugar Scrub- mix together in a small dish 2 tablespoons of brown or white granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Apply to lips with your fingertip gently rubbing in small circles. Gently remove with a wet cloth. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator.
Minty Scrub- For a minty treat use the Sugar scrub recipe above, and add a couple of drops of peppermint oil. Apply to lips with your fingertip gently rubbing in small circles. Gently remove with a wet cloth. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator.
Honey treatment- warm 1-2 tablespoons of honey in the microwave. Take care to not get it too hot! Smooth onto lips and let stand for one minute. Gently remove with a warm wet cloth.
Baking Soda scrub- Sugar may be too harsh for super sensitive lips instead try this mixture. Combine 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and a couple of drops of oil. Apply to lips with your fingertip gently rubbing in small circles. Gently remove with a wet cloth. Leftover of this one do not store well.
After any of these treatments gently pat your lips dry and apply your favorite lip balm.
I hope you give one of these scrubs a try! Your lips feel so soft and smooth afterwards and they taste yummy :)